I have this quote from an advertisement that I adore:
Gut. Ambition. Nerves of Steel. That's what little girls are made of.
I must have found the ad easily 10 years ago, but I still remember it and it guides me when I lose my way (which happens often.)
Lately I've been worried that maybe I'm not living up to my ideal. Maybe I'm just doing whatever I want: baking, reading, biking, etc. because I want to distract myself. I think that the issues at work are what's bringing this on. I'm two classes away from having a masters degree but I work a barely better than minimum wage job...and I've been here three years! It's time to harness those nerves and re-find my ambition. I've got to break lose of this place and find a job that I love.
Since I'm obsessed with Zappos, Josh thinks I need to use what I love about them to start my own business. Oh my lord is that a scary idea. What if I'm not smart enough? What if I can't get grants? What if my ideas fail miserably? What would I even focus on?
Do you see what I mean here? I let the worries get in the way of the living.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You're definitely smart enough to start a business that matters to you. The key is just that, finding something you're willing to dive into head-first and not look back. If you can do that the grants will come.
ReplyDeleteTwo thought, neither necessarily my own, but both infused with my own perspective...
ReplyDelete1. Don't let the "bigness" of anything ever stop you from pursuing it. Start with what you know, and with what you an directly influence. Deconstruct the "big" into manageable parts. And start with the ones you can manage. As the Covey-ites would say, if you do right by the small sphere of things over which you have influence right now, your sphere of influence will only grow and expand.
2. If you let it, not knowing how things will turn out will excite you and instill in you a sense of adventure. You can be inspired by Zappos, but you'd never want to re-create Zappos. You're going to create whatever Ally-fied version of Zappos-infused salty goodness you need to bring into the world. The hardest steps are always going to be the first few small ones... after that, the only lesson is learning not to be afraid to let things evolve, and adapt, and truly grow.
:-)
-W
Dearest Allie;
ReplyDeleteYou have a great ambition. The time to pursue it is when you are young - NOW! Later is the timwe to worry, if ever, about mistakes and, God forbid, failures. DO IT NOW! This come from an "old" man whose life would have been a lot different, not necessarily better, if I followed my dreams when I was younger. I am following some of them now. DO IT NOW and you'll never have to second guess yourself and live with regret.
Also thanks for reading my stuff.
Love "DAD"